A nice, warm soup for people who prefer to eat reduced-salt food. Sometimes I add carrots, mushrooms and/or zucchini. If you don't have sherry, use dry white wine, or if you don't have wine, white-wine vinegar or rice vinegar will do. Whatever you do, don't use "cooking sherry" or "cooking wine" if you're aiming for low sodium, because these have salt added to them. Cooking time doesn't include time to cook chicken; I generally make this with left-over cooked chicken.
- add 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- add 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- add 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- add 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- add pepper
- add 1/16 teaspoon dried rosemary
- add 3 tablespoons finely minced onions
- add 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons dry sherry
- add 6 cups sodium-free chicken stock
- Combine stock through pepper in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rice, cover, lower heat and simmer over low heat 20 minutes.
- Add chicken and continue to cook until chicken is hot and rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve at once.