I looked all over for a recipe for black beans that included my favorite ingredients. When I couldn't find one, I started experimenting. These have become one of our favorite side dishes with Mexican meals. The lime juice adds a real tang to the recipe.
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- add 1 cup chopped onions
- add 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- add 1 jalapeno pepper
- add 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- add 2 tablespoons lime juice
- add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- add 6 slices bacon
- add 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes (I use petite diced tomatoes)
- Saute bacon until crisp, then set aside.
- Drain all except 1 T bacon grease.
- Saute onion and jalapeno in remaining bacon grease.
- Add all remaining ingredients except bacon and simmer until beans are hot and tomatoes have reduced a bit.
- Top with bacon pieces.
- If you like more spice you can either leave some seeds in the jalapenos or add a pinch of cayenne pepper.