This recipe comes from a community cookbook I've had for almost 30 years. It is great with soup, chili or baked beans and fresh summer vegetables. It is also good at room temperature and makes a great picnic item.
- add 2-4 seeded finely diced jalapeno peppers (you can use the canned, drained ones if you wish)
- add 1 cup sour cream
- add 4 eggs
- add 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- add 1 cup cream-style corn
- add 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- add 2 tablespoons sugar
- add 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- add 1 1/2-2 cups finely diced onions
- Preheat over to 425 degrees.
- Mix together first eight ingredients, and then slowly fold the corn meal into the mixture.
- Pour into a long pyrex baking dish that has been well greased.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until center is done.
- Brush melted butter on the top.