This is an instant hit at any party and is lower in fat than most Mexican recipes. Of course, you can make it with the full-fat ingredients if you like. Experiment and add other garnishes, such as sausage, pepperoni, black beans or jalapenos.
- add 2 whole tomatoes
- add 8 ounces nonfat sour cream or sour cream
- add 8 ounces fat free cream cheese or neufchatel cheese or cream cheese
- add 1 cup diced onions or spring onions
- add 16 ounces fat-free refried beans or refried beans
- add 1/2-3/4 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese or sharp cheddar cheese
- add 2/3 cup cucumbers
- add 1/4 cup diced celery (1 stalk)
- add 12 ounces picante sauce, divided (I use Pace's medium Picante)
- add 1/4 cup sliced green olives or black olives (optional)
- Soften cream cheese and spread in a round glass baking dish.
- Mix 6 tbs picante sauce with the refried beans.
- Spread over cream cheese.
- Spread sour cream over refried beans.
- Spoon remainder of picante sauce over sour cream.
- Sprinkle onions, celery and cucumbers over dish.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Garnish with diced (well-drained) tomatoes.
- ***Ifusing sliced olives, sprinkle over tomatoes.
- Serve with corn chips or tostatoes.