Mexican Rice Dessert (Arroz a la Cajeta)
A scrumptious variation to the classical "arroz con leche".
- 1 cup cajeta caramel sauce (bottled Mexican caramel sauce available in Mexican food stores)
- 2 strips cinnamon bark (not complete rolls)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Soak rice in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Drain and place in a cooking pot.
- Add milk and cinnamon.
- Simmer on stovetop until rice is well cooked.
- Discard liquid by sieving.
- Reserve rice.
- Heat the"cajeta" on a double boiler until it thins somewhat and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from stovetop and add the chopped nuts.
- Incorporate cajeta and nut mixture to the rice.
Location: San Francisco , CA