This casserole is even better the next day, that is if it can make it overnight lol! ...it's really a great casserole! You can omit the jalapeno pepper if desired. We like onions, so I always use 2 onions for this casserole and lots of fresh garlic, you can increase the green chiles to whatever amount you desire. Really you can use as much shredded cheese and cooked chicken as your like, the amounts listed are only a guideline. This can also be made using cooked turkey. Prep time does not include cooking the chicken.
- add 24 corn tortillas (you might use a couple less than 24)
- add 1 1/3 cups chicken broth
- add 2 cups cheddar cheese or monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, shredded and divided (or to taste)
- add salt and pepper
- add 1 1/4 cups canned green chilies, drained (can use more!)
- add 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- add 2-3 tablespoons butter
- add 4 cups cooked chicken (or use cooked turkey)
- add 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- add 1-2 teaspoon cumin
- add 1 large onion
- add 2-3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a medium heavy pot or saucepan, heat 2-3 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in chopped onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper, saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, green chiles, cumin and chicken soup, season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes or until heated through and combined; remove from heat.
- Spread about 1 cup of the soup mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange 5-6 tortillas over the soup mixture, then top with about 1 cup chicken, then about 1/2 cup shredded cheese (or to taste).
- Repeat the layers (ENDING with the cheese).
- Spread the remaining soup mixture over the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.