This recipe is one from childhood. My grandmother made it with Savoy cabbage. I make it with any green cabbage. My husband is a carrot lover and I will occasionally add a few to the mix. It's a nice flavor. I've also used purple cabbage for this and mixed it with cooked rice in the end to make a filling meal.
- add crusty bread
- add 1 (29 ounce) can cannellini beans
- add 1 cup chicken broth
- add salt and pepper
- add 3 tablespoons olive oil
- add 3 cloves garlic
- add 1 head cabbage
- add red pepper flakes (optional)
- Wash and cut cabbage head.
- I usually quarter, then cut in half again.
- Be sure core is removed and discarded.
- In large pot, sautee garlic in hot olive oil until tender.
- Add cabbage, chicken broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil.
- Immediately reduce to a simmer and cover.
- After about 45 minutes, add beans, then re-cover pot.
- Cook until everything is heated and tender throughout and all flavors have blended.
- You can add hot pepper flakes when serving, if desired.
- We also like to drizzle a bit of fine quality olive oil on the top of our bowls before eating.
- Enjoy with good crusty bread and you have yourself a healthy meal!