This savory little morsel was one of the appetizers featured when Food Network chefs catered a wedding. (Rachel Ray's offering).
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- add 1/4 cup light oil (such as peanut, canola, or vegetable oil)
- add fresh ground black pepper
- add 2 teaspoons chili powder
- add 1/2 cup finely diced mangoes (optional)
- add 2 teaspoons paprika
- add kosher salt
- add 1 scallion
- add 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken
- add 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- add 1/2 cup butter
- add 8 sheets phyllo dough
- add 2 teaspoons grill seasoning (recommended Montreal Seasoning by McCormick)
- add 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (a handful)
- add 2 tablespoons sweet plum sauce or Chinese duck sauce
- For the chicken cigars:Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Place chicken in a bowl and mix with spices and parsley.(I actually used my food processor to shred/chop chicken and mix in the spices and it worked nicely--use it to chop the parsley first and then add other ingredients).
- Place a piece of phyllo on a nonstick cookie sheet and brush with some of the melted butter.Repeat 3 more times, placing each of phyllo over the last buttered sheet to make 4 layers.Cut layered phyllo into 16 rectangles (4 x 4).
- On one end of each of the rectangles, place a heaping tablespoon of chicken filling.Roll up tightly to make mini "cigars".Cut each of these in half and place on a cookie sheet.(They should overlap slightly on the bottom--they will stay together nicely if you press them gently after you place them on the cookie sheet). Butter the tops of each.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Repeat with second half of phyllo sheets and chicken mixture.
- Make the sweet and sour dipping sauce by whisking together plum or duck sauce and vinegar in a bowl.Stream in oil and continue whisking to combine.Season with salt and pepper.Fold in mango and sliced scallions.
- Serve either hot or at room temperature with dipping sauce.