Spicy and delicious, the combination of apples, zucchini, and carrots resembles that of mincemeat. Old fashioned English mincemeat pie includes ground suet and meat. This one does not.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 cup raisins
- add 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- add 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- add 1 large egg
- add 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- add 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- add 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- add 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 2 zucchini, scrubbed,unpeeled,and shredded (8-inch each)
- add 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- add 2 large granny smith apples
- add 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces or 1/2 cup lard
- add 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- add 2 large carrots
- add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- add 1 tablespoon water
- add 1 large egg
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 3-4 tablespoons ice water
- TO MAKE THE PIE CRUST: Combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl or in the work bowl of a food processor.
- Process or cut in the butter or lard until the fat is in pea-size pieces.
- If using a food processor, turn the mixture into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, lemon juice, and 3 Tablespoons ice water together.
- Drizzle the liquids over the crumbly mixture.
- With a fork, mix until the pastry holds together in a ball, adding more ice water if necessary.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead once or twice, lightly, to shape the dough into a ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling out.
- TO MAKE THE FILLING: Prepare the pie crust.
- On a floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to fit a 10-inch pie pan.
- Line the pan with the pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, zucchini, carrots, nuts, raisins, and flour; toss to mix.
- In another bowl, mix the brown sugar and butter until blended and stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and lemon juice.
- Mix into the apple mixture.
- Turn the filling into the pastry-lined pan.
- On a floured surface, roll out the second half of the pastry and cut into 1/2-inch strips.
- Arrange on top of the filling in a lattice fashion.
- Trim and seal the strips to the bottom crust.
- In a small bowl, make the glaze by beating the egg and water together.
- Brush the mixture over the top and edges of the pie.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the pie is set and the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
- The Great Holiday Baking Book.