"Recently I had dinner at a fine restaurant with a peculiar name: The Place Next to the San Juan Ferry," says Beth Fogarty Day of Redmond, Washington. "It's right by the water in Friday Harbor, Washington. I'd love the recipe for the mushroom and goat cheese appetizer."
- add 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- add 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- add 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- add 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- add 1 cup boiling water 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- add 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
- add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley 1 crusty French-bread baguette, cut diagonally into 1/3-inch-thick slices
- add 1/2 cup white wine
- add 1/2 cup (about) freshly grated Parmesan cheese 8 ounces herbed goat cheese
- add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- add 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- add 8 artichoke hearts from 14-ounce can, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- add 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, melted
- add 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place sun-dried tomatoes in small bowl. Pour boiling water over tomatoes; let soak until soft, about 20 minutes. Drain tomatoes; slice thinly. Set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, dried red pepper and thyme; sauté 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add shiitake and button mushrooms and sauté until brown, about 10 minutes. Add wine and lemon juice and simmer 2 minutes. Mix in sun-dried tomatoes and artichokes. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing.) Mix in basil and 2 tablespoons butter. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl; sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange baguette slices in single layer on baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven; maintain oven temperature. Brush each baguette slice with butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Return to oven; bake until cheese begins to melt, about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm crostini with goat cheese and mushroom mixture.