A tasty, low-fat soup with a little kick that my family requests often. Starting with au gratin potatoes makes it SO easy. This recipe probably came from Light and Tasty magazine, although I substituted fat-free cheese and skim milk to make it lower in fat.
- add 8 ounces fat free cream cheese or cream cheese (cut in pieces)
- add 1 (5 1/4 ounce) package au gratin potato mix (dry mix)
- add 1 1/2 cups skim milk or 2% low-fat milk
- add 2 cups water
- add 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- add 1 tablespoon fresh parsley sprigs, minced (optional)
- add 2 dashes hot sauce
- add 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies (I use Rotel brand)
- In large pot, combine au gratin potato mix, tomatoes, and water.
- Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15-18 minutes until potatoes are done.
- Add cheese chunks and cook, stirring with a whisk, until the cheese melts.
- Add milk, corn, and hot sauce, stirring until soup is hot.
- Garnish with parsley.