A good basic pie crust.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 teaspoons salt
- add 1 egg
- add 1 teaspoon white sugar
- add 1/2 cup ice water
- add 1 teaspoon vinegar
- add 4 cups all-purpose flour
- add 1 3/4 cups vegetable shortening
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a medium/large bowl.
- Add the shortening and"cut" in until the mixture is crumbly and there are no big lumps of fat.
- (use forks, two knives or a pastry cutter-pea size crumbs please) In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, water and egg.
- Slowly add to flour mixture with a fork just until all ingredients are comming together and begin to form a ball.
- (at this point I press together to make sure dough is holding together) Divide dough into fourths.
- Wrap each one in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for up to 6 months.