I first tasted this light and creamy dessert while on a skiing holiday in the French resort of Chamonix. Thanks to Caroline for sharing the recipe with me.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- Preheat the oven to 230 C or 450 F and line a terrine dish (about 12 x 3 inches) with wax paper.
- It's also a good idea at this point to make sure there is room in the freezer for your dish.
- Warm the hazelnuts in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Skin and roughly chop.
- Heat one third of the sugar in a heavy pan, until it starts to carmelise.
- Stir in the warm hazelnuts and pour onto an oiled tray.
- Leave to cool and set.
- When cool, crush into small pieces using a rolling pin.
- Meanwhile, whip the egg whites and the rest of the sugar together to make a stiff meringue.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks and then fold together with the meringue and crushed hazelnut mixture.
- Fill the terrine dish to the top and place in the freezer until hard-- at least 24 hours.
- To serve, remove from the freezer and from the dish.
- Slice and serve on top of a pool of strawberry or raspberry sauce.