From "Great Whole Grain Breads" by Beatrice Ojakangas. This is really, really fast and tasty...I like it with butter or cream cheese. You can find barley flour in most natural food stores and many large supermarkets.
- add 1 tablespoon sugar (I leave it out) (optional)
- add 2 teaspoons baking powder (It's too chewy for my taste if baking powder isn't used) (optional)
- add 1 cup milk
- add 2 tablespoons butter
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 2 cups barley flour
- Preheat the oven to 500°F Mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Generously grease a baking sheet (a 12-inch pizza pan works well). Pour the batter onto the sheet - bread should be 12 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until bread is firm and golden brown.
- Cut into wedges, and serve hot with butter or cheese. This is definitely at its best shortly after it has been baked.