An old fashioned recipe for moist and delicious banana muffins. This is a family favorite, great for brunch, coffee hour or bake sales.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 cups flour
- add 1/2 cup buttermilk (OR 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar and milk to make 1/2 cup.)
- add 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- add 2 eggs, separated (place yolks in small bowl, in larger bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks)
- add 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (I use less about 1 1/4 cups)
- add 1 teaspoon baking soda (to be added to buttermilk)
- add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- add 1/4 cup brown sugar
- add 1 cup mashed bananas
- add 3 tablespoons flour
- add 1 teaspoon baking powder
- In small bowl prepare streusel topping by combining sugar and flour, cut in butter and set aside.
- In bowl, measure flour, baking powder and salt; whisk to mix and set aside.
- Separate eggs, yolks in small bowl, whites beaten to stiff peaks in a larger bowl; set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy, add egg yolks and vanilla extract mixing to blend.
- Add baking soda to the buttermilk, add to batter mix.
- Stir in mashed bananas.
- Add dry ingredients stirring until mixed, gently fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups two thirds full, topping with a sprinkling of the streusel topping mix.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven 20- 25 minutes or until golden brown; this varies from oven to oven.