This just makes me a kid again. Cookies, bananas and pudding all in one spot was always almost too good to be true. This is a food group unto itself!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- add 4 egg whites
- add 2 1/2 cups milk
- add 2 egg yolks
- add 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- add 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- add 3 cups sliced ripe bananas
- add 45 vanilla wafers
- add 1/4 cup sugar
- add 1 dash salt
- Mix flour and salt in a large sauce pan.
- Add milk and egg yolks to pan slowly, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 7-8 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Layer enough banana slices to cover the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover the bananas with 1/3 of the pudding mixture, and layer with 1/3 of the vanilla wafers.
- Repeat layering, starting with bananas, then using pudding, then vanilla wafers.
- Do the layering a third time as usual, except do not cover the pudding with wafers; place the wafers around the edges of the casserole, tucked into the pudding.
- Beat the egg whites at high speed with a mixer until they foam.
- Add the sugar gradually, and keep beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this over the top of the pudding, forming a seal to the edges.
- Bake pudding at 325F for 25 minutes or until the meringue becomes light golden.
- Allow to cool 30 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate unused portions.