Mother started making these in the 1970's and I continued the tradition, George loves them for on the run breakfast- This makes a big batch so you can back and freeze...or keep the batter covered in fridge for up to 3 weeks for fresh ones as you go. These are hi-faber and super good, you can use Spenda and make them even better.
- add 4 cups all bran cereal
- add 2 cups 100% bran cereal flakes
- add 2 cups raisins (or dried cranberries_
- add 2 cups boiling water
- add 2 cups brown sugar, packed (or Spenda Brown sugar)
- add 1 cup salad oil
- add 1 cup molasses
- add 1 quart buttermilk
- add 4 eggs
- add 5 cups flour
- add 5 tsp baking soda (make sure its fresh)
- add 2 tsp real vanilla extract
- add 3 tsp cinnamon
- Pour water over all cereal and raisins, set aside to cool. Cream oil, molasses and sugar and add milk and eggs and beat it in so mixture is well mixed. Sift in the flour and soda and add to the oil mixture then add in the cooled bran mix. This will take a large bowl or a big pan for mixing. Use wooden spoon to stir and fill your muffin liners. This makes 6-8 dozen muffins.
- Fill cupcake liners in muffins pans 2/3 full and back for 20 minutes at 375
- You can choose to bake them on the weekend and then enjoy a few fresh and freeze the rest in smaller ziplocks so they can be taken from the freezer for a days snack at work.
- Or you bake a few and store the batter/covered? for up to 70 days in refrigerator. Its really nice to have these for an on the go snack - it fills you up and still tastes very good.