Has more of a tropical flavor than southwestern. Would go great with Mexican dishes from the Yucatan or even the Caribbean. Pairs well with chips.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add lime juice
- add salt
- add 2 oranges
- add 6 green onions
- add 3-4 habanero peppers
- add 1 lb tomatillos
- In an ungreased iron skillet, roast half of the tomatillos in their husks for about 10 minutes, turning often; remove from pan and cool.
- When cool, place them in a blender, and set aside.
- Meanwhile remove husks from remaining tomatillos and rinse them and dice fine, and place them in a bowl.
- Roast the habaneros over low heat, turning often, about 5-7 minutes, or until they begin to char; remove from pan.
- Stem and deseed habaneros (wear gloves if you prefer), and add to blender; puree.
- Squeeze one of the oranges over a sieve placed over the bowl with the tomatillos (to catch any stray seeds).
- Add the pepper/tomatillo puree and mix well.
- Peel the remaining orange; remove pith; dessed (if necessary); dice fine, and add to the bowl along with the chopped green onions.
- Season to taste with salt and lime juice and allow to stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving to develop flavor.
Recipe Reviews 1 reviews