I am often asked for this recipe when I take these cabbage rolls to a potluck They have a sweet but spicy tang. Don't let the oriental ingredients scare you, they are perfect for this recipe.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- add 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- add 2 garlic cloves
- add 4 tablespoons ketchup
- add 2 lbs uncooked ground pork
- add 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- add 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- add 3 cups uncooked instant rice
- add 1 lb uncooked ground beef
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 2 heads softened cabbage leaves
- add 1 cup chili sauce
- add 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- add 1 cup chopped onions
- add 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- add 1 cup packed brown sugar
- I'm adding a note to this recipe. The cabbage leaves need to be soft enough to roll for this recipe to work.One way to achieve this, is to wash the cabbage, freeze while still damp, then thaw and steam slightly.I like to defrost them in the microwave.
- Combine pork,beef, rice, garlic,onion, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, ginger, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each cabbage leaf.
- Fold in sides; then starting at an unfolded edge, roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Place rolls seam side down, in a greased 13 inch x 9 inch baking dish.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sauce ingredients; heat and stir until sugar is melted and sauce is hot.
- Pour over rolls.
- Cover and bake at 3oo degrees for 2 - 21/2 hours.