If you like meringue desserts, you will love this one. Crispy on the outside and ment-in-your-mouth soft in the center and drizzled with luscious raspberries. From Cooling Light Magazine (12/2003) I adapted recipe to use fresh strawberries in the photo.
- add 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- add 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- add 3 (10 ounce) packages frozen raspberries or strawberries
- add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- add 2 teaspoons butter
- add 2 1/2 cups sugar
- add 1 1/2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl with mixer at medium speed until foamy.Add the cream of tartar and beat for 1 minute.Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablesp0oon at a time, beating until well blended (about 8 minutes).Add vanilla extract.Increase mixer speed to high and beat for 5 minutes or until soft peaks form.(Do not underbeat).
- Coat the inside of a 10-inch springform pan with butter, and add meringue, spreading evenly.Break air pockets by cutting through meringue with a knife.
- Place pan in 450°F oven.Turn the oven off, and cool in closed oven for at least 24 hours.
- Drain the raspberries, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.Place raspberries in a food processor, and process until smooth.Press raspberry mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl to measure 1 1/4 cups.Discard solids.Stir in the reserved raspberry liquid.
- Spoon cooled meringue into bowls.Drizzle with raspberry mixture, and top with whipped topping.(Each serving is about 1 cup meringue, 1 1/2 tablespoons raspberry mixture, and 1 1/2 tablespoons whipped topping.).