This is a Mexican cookie recipe that is often made for wedding, sweet 15's and birthday parties. Not at all low-fat. It makes between 5 to 8 dozen depending on the size of the cookie. Lard is what gives it that original flavor!!
- add 1 1/2 cups lard
- add 6 cups flour
- add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add 1 cup sugar
- add 2 cups sugar
- add 1 tablespoon anise seed
- add 1 pinch salt
- add 1 cup anise tea
- add 1 tablespoon baking powder
- First make tea.Use 1 cup of water and 1 tbsp of Anise seed.Let it cool and set aside.
- Second get 1 tbsp of Anise seeds and crush in a mortar, set aside.
- Third make cinnamon sugar mix to dip hot cookies in, set aside.
- You are going to need 2 large bowls.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder, set aside.
- In another large bowl, mix sugar, lard, crushed Anise seeds, and Anise tea until smooth. (may not need all of the tea, just eyeball it).
- Add flour mix, one cup at a time.Dough should be soft.
- SUGGESTION:Let dough rest for couple of hours or overnight.The Anise seeds will create a wonderful flavor!
- Lightly flour rolling surface.Roll out dough about 1/4 inch thickness.Use a heart shape cookie cutter or any small cookie cutter you like.
- Preheat oven to 400.Bake in an ungreased cookie sheet or stone for about 10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Remove from cookie sheet, let cookies cool about 2 minutes then roll warm cookie in cinnamon-sugar mix.(careful not to break cookie).
- *lard is recommended but you can use Mrs. Tucker's shortening, it works just as well.DO NOT USE OIL.