From The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. This is great for parties. We have really enjoyed this recipe. Great with chips or veggies!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 cup sour cream
- add 4 ounces cream cheese
- add 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- add 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- add 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- add 1/2 cup good mayonnaise
- add 2 large yellow onions
- add 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- add 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Cut the onions in half and then slice them into 1/8-inch thick half-rounds.
- (You will have about 3 cups of onions.) Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions, cayenne, salt, and pepper and saute for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 more minutes until the onions are browned and caramelized.
- Allow the onions to cool.
- Place the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth.
- Add the onions and mix well.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Serve at room temperature.
Recipe Reviews 1 reviews