If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/4 cup sugar
- add 1 egg, beaten to blend (for glaze)12 1/8-inch-thick slices almond paste (about 3 ounces)
- add 3 firm but ripe small Bosc pears, peeled, halved, cored1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17 1/4-ounce package), thawed
- add 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- add 3/4 cup water
- Combine water and sugar in medium skillet. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add pear halves, cover and simmer 6 minutes. Turn pears over; simmer until just tender, about 6 minutes longer. Using slotted spoon, transfer pears to plate. If necessary, boil syrup until reduced to 3 tablespoons; reserve.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large baking sheet with foil. Roll out pastry on floured surface to 17 x 11-inch rectangle (scant 1/8 inch thick). Cut into six 4 1/2 x 5 1/2-inch rectangles (reserve remainder for another use). Cut off 1/2-inch-wide strip from each long side of rectangles, then cut off 1/2-inch-wide strip from each short side. Brush strips with egg glaze. Place 2 long strips, glazed side down, atop long edges of each rectangle. Place short strips, glazed side down, atop short edges; trim to fit.
- Transfer pastries to prepared baking sheet. Top each pastry with 2 slices almond paste. Thinly slice each pear half crosswise; fan slightly. Place 1 pear half in center of each pastry, arranging to fit.
- Bake tartlets until crusts are golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer to plates. Rewarm reserved syrup; brush over pears. Serve warm or at room temperature.