I haven't made this yet but it is on my short list of things to try. I love perogies and I love cabbage and to combine them with bacon and onions, well, I just died and went to heaven!
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 20 frozen potato cheese pierogies
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 1/2 lbs savoy cabbage, halved, cored and thinly sliced (8 cups)
- add 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- add 1 large onion
- add 6 slices bacon
- add 2 tablespoons olive oil
- add 1/2 cup water
- add 4 garlic cloves
- Parboil perogies in a 6 to 8 quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1 minute less than package instructions indicate (perogies will not be completely cooked)Transfer with a slotted spoon to a colander to drain.Pat dry.
- Heat 1 TBS oil in a 12 inch heavy skillet and saute half of the perogies, turning over once, until golden, about 4 minutes per batch.Transfer to a large platter and cover loosely with foil.Keep warm.Add 1 TBS oil to skillet and cook remaining perogies in same manner.
- Cook bacon in same skillet over moderately high heat stirring occasionally until crisp and golden, 6 to 8 minutes, then transfer to paper towels to drain.Pour off all but 1 TBS of fat from skillet, then add remaining oil and saute onion, stirring until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to moderate, then stir in garlic, cabbage, water and salt.Cook, covered, stirring occasionally until cabbage is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.Transfer to platter with perogies and sprinkle with bacon and dill.
- Serve hot with sour cream if desired.