This is a meal-in-one easy casserole to make. Make ahead and keep it in the fridge until 1 hour before serving. Allow 15 minutes to let the cassserole dish get to room temperature before popping it into the oven. Add more or less veggies; vary the veggies. I like these veggies because it make a very attractive casserole.
- add 1 1/2 cups onions
- add 1 cup cauliflower florets
- add sour cream
- add 1 1/2 cups baby carrots
- add 2 banana peppers
- add 2 cups cheddar cheese
- add 1 1/4 cups mushrooms
- add 1 kg potato & cheese pierogies (cheddar)
- add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- add salsa
- add 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- add 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- add 16 cherry tomatoes
- add bacon bits (optional)
- Pop the perogies into boiling salted water; stir so they do not stick to the bottom of the pot; bring back to a boil and when they float to the top, add the carrots to the pot. Allow to cook for 5 minutes longer Drain carrots and perogies.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet, add 1 tsp oil and saute the onions and mushrooms until the onions are translucent. Add the peppers and saute another two minutes.
- Mix the perogies and onion mixture together.
- Pour into a lightly oiled large casserole dish (9"x14"x3").
- Arrange the tomatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower artistically on top of the perogies.
- Sprinkle evenly with the cheese.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake a further 15 minutes, allowing the cheese to slightly brown.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and, if you wish, bacon bits. Just let everyone add their own at the table.