Old family recipe. You just can't eat store bought canned beets after tasting these. May also can this recipe, but multiply ingredients. It's not worth canning just one jar. :) Estimated prep time includes cleaning, skinning and cutting.
- add 1/4 bay leaf
- add 3 peppercorns
- add 2 cloves
- add 3 tablespoons sugar
- add 1/2 cup beet juice
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 2 lbs beets, greens removed (couple inches of greens left on)
- add 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Wash the dirt off the beets.
- In a covered pan cook whole beets in boiling salted water until tender (35-50 minutes).
- Cool slightly, cut off remaining greens and slip off skins.
- Save 1/2 cup of the beet juice (water beets were cooked in).
- Cut up beets the way you want them.
- Put in a clean, empty jar.
- In a small pan bring the beet juice and the remaining ingredients to a boil.
- Pour the hot liquid mixture over the beets.
- Let come to room temperature and then chill.