Pierogies with Meat
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
- 1 onion
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 egg
- 2 cups meat pieces
- Grind the meat with bread.
- Add the onions which have been sauteed in the drippings.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare dough, mix the egg with the flour, add a dash of salt and as much water as needed to knead a smooth loose dough.
- Roll out as thinly as you can.
- Cut out 2 1/2 to 3 inch squares.
- Put a little of the stuffing on each square.
- Fold to form a triangle, pinch the edges together.
- Cook in a large kettle with boiling salted water on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove with a colander spoon to a warmed serving platter.
- Add the bread crumbs to the butter and fry for a few minutes on low heat.
- Pour over the pierogi.
Location: San Francisco , CA