"A couple of years ago I decided to become a vegetarian. As time went on, the only things I really missed were some of the heartier sandwiches I used to make," says Jill Browning of Clarendon Hills, Illinois. "But then I created this meatless pita bread sandwich that's as substantial as any hoagie—and much lower in fat."
- add 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, chopped
- add 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- add Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- add 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- add 1 large garlic clove, pressed<B>sandwiches</B>
- add 1/4 cup olive oil
- add 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- add <B>sauce</B>
- add All purpose flour
- add Fresh breadcrumbs made from French bread
- add 1 cucumber, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- add 2 tablespoons water
- add 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- add 4 plum tomatoes, sliced
- add 2 eggs
- add 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, cut into strips
- add 1 medium eggplant (about 1 1/4 pounds), unpeeled, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices 6 pita bread rounds
- add 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar
- for sauce: Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, peppers, basil and garlic in medium bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
- for sandwiches: Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray 2 heavy large baking sheets with vegetable oil spray. Whisk olive oil, vinegar and oregano in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Whisk eggs and 2 tablespoons water in medium bowl to blend. Place breadcrumbs in shallow dish. Place flour in another shallow dish. Lightly dust each eggplant slice with flour; dip eggplant into egg mixture and then into breadcrumbs, coating completely. Place eggplant slices on prepared baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil mixture. Let stand 15 minutes. Bake until brown on both sides and tender, turning occasionally, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cool eggplant on baking sheets.
- Place 2 or 3 eggplant slices in each pita. Stuff each pita equally with tomatoes, cucumber and red pepper strips. Drizzle 1/3 cup sauce over filling in each pita and serve.