Servs: 6 Prep: Cook:
"A great way to use the leftover Easter ham. I call these Plantation Ham Cakes because they always makes me think of Tara and the food descriptions of succulent baked ham dripping with red eye gravy that always made my mouth water! These are wonderful with leftover yams, heated and mashed and dripping with butter; applesauce is a good accompaniment as well."
- add 3/4 cup cornmeal
- add 3 eggs, beaten
- add 1 (10 ounce) package chopped frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- add 2 teaspoons dried basil
- add 1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese
- add 3 cloves garlic, minced
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 onion, finely chopped
- add 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- add 2 teaspoons anise seed
- add 2 cups ground ham
- add 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large bowl combine the ground ham, onion, broccoli and egg beat. Mix with hands for 1 full minute, or until egg beat is evenly absorbed into meat.
- Sprinkle anise seed, basil, garlic, salt, pepper, cornmeal and cheese over meat mixture and mix again with hands for 1 full minute, until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Scoop about 3 ounces of ham mixture into hands and form patties about 1/2 inch thick. Lay patties in skillet and cook for 3 to 5 minutes each side, or until browned. Drain on paper towels. Repeat until all of the mixture has been used, then serve hot.