Servs: 3 Prep: Cook:
Another easy, always tasty side dish for a hearty meal. By cooking the polenta in the oven, you save having to sit there and stir it forever, AND it comes out smooth and creamy from the even cooking.
- add 2 tbs Olive Oil
- add 3/4 cup chopped Red Onion
- add 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- add 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- add 1 qt. chicken broth
- add 1 cup coarse ground corn meal
- add 3 tbs sweet cream butter
- add 2 oz (1/4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese (off the block!)
- add 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, high sided sauce pan with a lid that you can put in the oven (no plastic handles! Non-stick is okay) add the olive oil, onion and salt and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until the onion is soft, don't fry the onions so keep the heat low.
- Add the minced garlic and cook another 2 minutes, again, only with medium heat.
- Add the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Once the mixture is boiling, slowly add the corn meal while stirring to incorporate the grains without any lumps. If you just dump it in, you'll get a lumpy mess. Continue stirring while the mixture returns to a boil.
- Once the mixture returns to a rolling boil, put the lid on and place in the oven for 40 minutes, only stirring once every 10 minutes or less.
- After your 40 minutes is up, take the dish out of the oven and add your butter and Parmesan cheese (and use the expensive stuff you have to grate yourself or you'll really taste it!), as well as your pepper.