Servs: 60 Prep:
We loved L.A. chef Mary Sue Milliken’s crisp baked-tortilla crackers in her pool-party menu (August 2000). Here, we invent our own version of them.<P> Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 1 hr
- add 1/2 cup poppy seeds (2.6-oz jar)Special equipment: a 2-inch star cookie cutter
- add 2 tablespoons cold water
- add 8 (6- to 7-inch) flour tortillas
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stir together egg, water, and salt.
- Brush each tortilla on 1 side with
- egg wash, then, holding over a bowl, sprinkle with poppy seeds to cover completely.
- Cut out 7 or 8 stars from each coated tortilla (you’ll have to press hard; use a pot holder to protect your hands), transferring to 2 baking sheets, seeded sides up. Bake, 1 sheet at a time, in middle of oven until crisp, about 15 minutes. Cool crackers on a rack.
- Cooks' note:
- Crackers keep, layered between wax paper, in an airtight container 3 days.