This recipe is from a Jeff Smith (Frugal Gourmet) cookbook. I often use a chuck roast for this. The original recipe also calls for 3 or 4 dried mushrooms to be added with the other ingredients, but I have never used them.
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 6 peppercorns
- add 1 large yellow onion
- add 1/4 cup beef stock
- add 3 dill pickles
- add 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- add 3 lbs beef top round roast or bottom round beef roast
- add 1 cup sour cream
- Heat dutch oven or large frying pan and make sure it is hot before adding oil.
- Brown the roast well in the oil.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the sour cream.
- Simmer, covered, for about 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- Add the sour cream and simmer for 1/2 hour more.
- Slice and serve with the sauce on the top.