This is coming from the Joy Of Cooking cookbook. These are very good, and easy to make. If shaped into slightly larger patties, these can be served as a side dish with grilled meat, otherwise these are wonderful appetizer, or a "little dish" as they'd call it.
- add 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- add 1 tablespoon canola oil or other vegetable oil
- add 3 garlic cloves
- add 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- add 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- add 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds or yellow mustard seeds
- add 1 serrano pepper or jalapeno pepper
- add 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- add 1 1/2 lbs boiling potatoes
- Drop into boiling water to cover:1 1/2 pounds boiling potatoes (6 to 8 potatoes).
- Cover and cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes.Drain, remove the skins, and mash.Heat in a medium skillet over high heat:1 tablespoon canola or other vegetable oil.
- Add and stir-fry until they pop:1 teaspoon black or yellow mustard seeds.
- Add and stir-fry for 20 seconds more:3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced.
- Stir the garlic mixture into the mashed potatoes along with:1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup) 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, if desired, seeded and minced, 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt.
- Shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch patties and cook in batches, without crowding, in a lightly oiled skillet until lightly browned on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes each side.Serve at once.