This recipe is a low dutch version of scrapple, often made after butchering a hog. It was given to me by my exhusband's grandmother and was a family favorite for years.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add ground allspice
- add 1 pork butt or fresh picnic roast
- add old-fashioned oatmeal
- add pepper
- add salt
- Boil the meat until it falls off the bones, generally in a dutch oven on top of the stove.
- About 2 hours.
- Reserve cooking liquid.
- Remove meat from bones and grind, fat and all in meat grinder.
- Cook old fashioned oats in the cooking liquid, adding enough oats to make a texture like oatmeal.
- Mix ground meat with oatmeal mixture and add allspice, salt and pepper"to taste".
- I used a fair amount of allspice, 1-2T for a batch.
- Refrigerate or freeze in serving sized batches.
- Prepare by spoon frying, with a little butter or oil, until a browned coating forms.
- Eat for breakfast or on bread as a sandwich.