Also known as Frexican Quesadillas. If you cannot find Camembert cheese substitute Brie or Saint Andre. Makes a great party appetizer! From www.artisanalcheese.com.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/2 cup red onions
- add 8 ounces camembert cheese
- add 1 cup granny smith apples
- add 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced (NOT dried)
- add 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- add 1/2 cup firm tomatoes
- add 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- add 1 tablespoon green jalapenos
- add 8 flour tortillas or spelt tortillas (approximately 8-inch diameter)
- Wrap the Camembert in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 1 hour. Grate using a cheese grater. Set aside.
- TORTILLAS: Heat a 10" non-stick skillet over medium heat. Place one tortilla in the skillet and sprinkle evenly with one quarter of the grated Camembert. Top with a second tortilla, pressing down gently. When nicely browned, flip the quesadilla over and brown the other side. Transfer to a warming plate.
- Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas and Camembert.
- SALSA:Combine the apple, red onion, tomato, jalapeño and lime juice in a non-reactive bowl. Stir in the walnut oil and fresh basil.
- TO SERVE: Slice each quesadilla into quarters and arrange attractively on a serving platter with the salsa on the side.