A white dipping sauce served in many restaurants with chips or hot flour tortillas for dipping. This is a basic recipe that uses 'Jack' for the TexMex version and Chihuahua and/or Asadero for the more traditional Mexican version.
- add 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- add 4 ounces green chilies
- add 1 serrano pepper, chopped fine (optional)
- add 1/4 cup half-and-half
- add 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped fine (optional)
- add 1/2 teaspoon salt
- add 1 cup monterey jack cheese or asadero cheese or chihuahua cheese
- add 2 tablespoons onions
- Put all ingredients in a double boiler and heat on medium.
- Cook until melted and well blended, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with fresh tostadas or hot flour tortillas.