Vive la France! Real bistro cooking - quick and tasty. This one comes from the CANADIAN BEAN COUNCIL via Vicki Gabereau's CBC radio program. (On occasion, I have been known to double both the wine and the beans ... heck, I ALWAYS do it!)
- add 1/2 cup dry red wine
- add 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- add 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 3 medium carrots
- add 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage
- add 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- add 1 medium onion
- add chopped parsley
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- In a large, lidded stovetop casserole, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the chicken, and remove.
- Brown the sausage.
- Add the chicken, carrots, onion and garlic and saute for 2 additional minutes.
- Drain off the fat.
- Stir in the wine, bay leaf, thyme and pepper.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in the beans and heat through.
- Sprinkle parsley on top.
- NOTE: Instead of dry red wine, you can substitute 1/2 cup of chicken broth and 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar.