This recipe has been in my family since it was first made in a small town north of Palermo, Sicily. I am exposing this family recipe because i know it will help some people be able to continue their love for pasta and still be able to stay on their diet.
- add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- add pepper (To desired flavor)
- add 1/2 cup chopped fresh onions
- add salt (To desired flavor)
- add 32 ounces tomato sauce
- Chop your 1/2 medium onion.
- Take a medium size pot and simmer together your chopped onions and oil over medium heat until onions are tender.
- Pour in your tomato sauce and stir well.
- let your sauce come to a boil for at least a half an hour.
- ****(Please stir frequently or your sauce will stick to the bottom of the pot and eventually burn.).
- reduce heat to medium-low.
- Stir in your desired amount of salt and pepper.
- cook for an additional half an hour.
- After at least an hour of cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil for your pasta.
- Let the sauce cook until pasta is drained and ready.
- Scoop some sauce into your drained pasta to coat.
- Serve with a scoop of pasta sauce ontop and enjoy!
- *You can add anything to this base pasta sauce -- we Italians sometimes will throw in cooked tender cauliflower for one dish or asparagas, or drained/fried ground beef for pasta bolognese, etc.you get the idea.