This is a sweet and tangy chutney, and goes wonderul with grilled meats, sliced ham steaks, pork dishes or chicken, and is so simple to make. This can be made up to 3 days ahead. If left in the fridge the flavors will intensify even more, so you might want to make this a day ahead.
- add 4 cups fresh rhubarb
- add 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- add 1 large cinnamon stick
- add 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- add 1 1/2 cups dark raisins or currants
- add 1/4 cup water
- add 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- add 3 teaspoons lemon zest
- In a large saucepan, bring the brown sugar, vinegar, water, ginger, lemon zest and cinnamon stick to a boil over high heat until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the rhubarb and raisins or currants; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until the rhubarb is tender (about 6-7 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or cover and refrigerate.
- Rewarm slightly before using.