Total Time: 3 hours, 35 minutes, plus 2 hours chilling NOTE: For moister pork, roast pork at 250 to an internal temp of 170 degrees, about 6 hours (no cracklings in this recipe). GOOD WITH GREEN SAUCE FOR PORK RECIPE #156680! 397 Cal., 81 mg Sodium; 126 mg Cholesterol; 28 g Fat; 10 g Sat. Fat; 0 g Carbs; 35 g Protein; 0 Fiber
- Rinse and pat roast dry with a paper towel. Carefully score skin into diamond shapes with small knife to make cracklings.
- Sprinkle roast liberally w/ salt, around 2 ½ tablespoons Place roast upright on a plate, w/ the shank pointing straight up. Refrigerate, uncovered, at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees, remove roast from fridge; pat dry. Arrange on a rack in a roasting pan, skin side up and place in the oven. Roast to an internal temperature of 150 degrees, about 2 ¾ to 3 hours.
- When meat is done, raise oven temperature to 450 degrees for 15 minutes to crisp the skin. Remove the roast from the oven and let stand at least 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- To serve, use a carving knife to slice away the cracklings, keeping them in a single sheet as much as possible. Place on a separate plate. Slice away any thick pieces of fat that remain. Slice the meat from the bone in ¼ to ½ inch pieces. This is most easily done by slicing parallel to the main leg bone.
- Arrange meat on a platter and place cracklings on top.