My husband and I absolutely LOVE the smoked turkey legs that are available at the nearby theme parks. This is a close, smokeless, version of those turkey legs that hold a very special place in our hearts. The passive cooking time includes the brining time.
- add 10 turkey legs (turkey wings, whole turkey or whole chicken)
- add 1/2 cup brown sugar
- add 1/2 gallon water (or enough water to cover pieces)
- add 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- add 1 cup Morton Tender Quick salt
- Mix the salt, brown sugar, liquid smoke and water together until all is dissolved and pour the briny mixture over the turkey legs.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for 24-hours to 72-hours.
- Rinse the brine off the turkey, pat dry with paper towels and roast at 350°F for about 45 minutes.
- By this time, the turkey will almost be done, but the skin will still have a pale color, so I crank the oven up to 500°F and roast the legs/wings until they are a rich mahogany color, then I flip them over and roast the other side until it is also deep brown.