This recipe is from my (future) mother in law, and it is just amazing. Soooo easy that it now makes a regular weekday appearance. I recommend following the recipe to the letter, but have made an amendment to the glaze because I think it's too gritty if you don't heat the sugar and lemon juice before spreading it over the cake. Mmm...think I'll go make one of these now!
- add 4 tablespoons milk
- add 2 large eggs
- add 165 g sugar (caster or regular)
- add 1 lemon, zest of
- add 165 g self-raising flour
- add 1 teaspoon baking powder
- add 125 g softened butter
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor for about 15 seconds.
- Then put it into a 20 cm tin and bake on 325F/170C for about 35 minutes.Mine is usually done by then, but the recipe says 45 minutes.
- Mix the juice of one lemon and 3 tbs sugar, then heat it in the microwave for about 20-40 seconds until the sugar is melted into the lemon juice.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then pour the lemon/sugar mix on top.