Servs: 6 Prep: Cook:
We always have plain white rice with either stew or kebobs. My kids and their friends just love it. Specially the crispy bottom of it called "Tahdig".
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 3 cups long-grain basmati rice
- add 8 cups water
- add 2 tablespoon salt
- add 2 tablespoon plain yogurt ( it's optional and can be replaced with saffron only)
- add 1 teaspoon ground saffron dissolved in 4 tablespoon water
- add 3/4 cup butter
- 1-After cleaning rice to make sure it?s clean wash the rice by placing it in large container and covering it with luke warm water.Agitate gently with your hand, then pure off the water. repeat for several time.
- 2-In large non-stick pot bring 8 cups of water to boil with 2 tablespoon of salt. Pour washed and drained rice into the pot. Boil briskly for 6 to 10 minutes, gently stirring twice with a wooden spoon to loosen any grains. If the rice feels soft, it?s ready. Drain rice in a large colander and rinse in 2 or 3 cups of lukewarm water.
- 3- In a bowl, mix 2 spatulas of rice, 2 tablespoon yougart, 1/2 cup butter or oil and 1/2 cup water, and few drops of dissolved saffron water.
- 4- In the non-stick pot spread the yogurt-rice mixture over the bottom of the pot. That creates a tender golden crust when the rice is cooked.
- 5- Take one spatula full of drained rice at a time and gently place it on top of the mix, gradually shaping the rice into a pyramid.
- 6- Cover and cook rice for 10-15 min. over medium heat in order to form a golden crust.
- 7- Dissolve the remaining butter in 1 cup hot water and pour over the rice. Place a clean dish towel or 2 layers of paper towel over the pot and cover firmly with the lid to prevent steam from escaping. Cook for 40-50 minutes.
- 8- When ready to serve the rice, take one spatula full of rice in bowl and add 2 tablespoon of saffron water,
- mix and set a side.
- 9- Serve your rice on a big oval plate and sprinkle the saffron rice as a garnish on top.
- 10- You could place the golden rice crust on a separate plate on table or arrange it around you rice dish.