No trip to the Pacific Northwest would be complete without this sailors? staple.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 Tbsp. salt
- add 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- add 4 cups unbleached flour
- add 1/2 cup sugar (try Florida Crystals brand)
- add 1 Tbsp. margarine (try Earth Balance brand)
- add 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- add 2 Tbsp. caraway seeds
- add 1/2 cup raisins
- add 2 Tbsp. vinegar
- add 2 cups soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a heavy, 9-inch, oven-proof skillet. Combine the soy milk with the vinegar to create buttermilk. In a large bowl, stir together the buttermilk, raisins, caraway seeds, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whip together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the buttermilk mixture. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Using a mixer on medium-low setting, gradually add the flour mixture to the other mixed ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix. Pour the batter into the greased skillet and bake for 60 minutes. Remove the bread from the skillet and cool for a half hour. Cut into wedges and serve warm with margarine.