This is my mother in law's recipe for croquettes. Whenever I make these, my husband can't get enough of them! They can be made with whatever you have on hand, tuna, ham, fish, chicken, or vegetables, spinach, carrots, zucchini...anything you can find in the pantry basically!
- add 2 tablespoons butter
- add 1 1/2 cups milk
- add sunflower oil (for frying)
- add 2 eggs
- add 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste (about)
- add 1 medium onion
- add 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs (about)
- add salt and pepper
- add 1 can salmon
- add 1/4 cup flour
- In a large frypan, heat butter over medium high heat, and sautee onion and garlic powder.
- Add salmon, season with salt and pepper (you may wish to add dill) and heat through.
- Add flour and stir well.
- Add milk gradually stirring constantly until mixture thickens and forms a ball.
- Remove mixture to plate and allow to cool completely (this may be done the day before, and the mixture placed in the refrig--it's easier to work with this way).
- Form into oval shaped croquettes, dip in egg and dredge in bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil, and drain on paper towels.
- This recipe can be made with practically anything, fish, chicken, ham, vegetables (spinach is lovely).