Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1 small garlic clove, chopped fine
- add 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- add 2 medium onions, halves and sliced thin lengthwise (about 1 1/2 cups)
- add <B>For topping</B>
- add 1/2 cup chopped scallion greens or fresh parsley (wash and dry before chopping)
- add a 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes including juice
- add 1 teaspoon olive oil
- add 1 bay leaf
- add 2 slices firm white sandwich bread, crusts discarded, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- add 19-ounce can white beans such as cannellini, navy, or Great Northern, drained and rinsed
- add 4 sweet Italian sausage links (about 10 ounces total), skins pricked all over with a fork
- add 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (wash and dry before chopping)
- add 1 tablespoon olive oil
- add 1 1/2 teaspoon mixed chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, and/or sage or 3/4 teaspoon mixed dried herbs, crumbled
- In a medium skillet cook sausages in oil over moderate heat, turning them, until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 8 minutes, and transfer to paper towels to drain.
- In fat remaining in skillet cook onions and garlic, stirring, until golden, and stir in herbs (including bay leaf), scallions or parsley, tomatoes with juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Boil mixture, stirring, 5 minutes. Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add sausage and beans to tomato mixture and cook, stirring, until heated through. Discard bay leaf and keep "cassoulet" warm, covered.
- Make topping:
- In s small skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and sauté bread until pale golden. Stir in garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste and sauté, stirring, 1 minute.
- Transfer "cassoulet" to a 1-quart serving dish and cover evenly with topping.