These yummy little corn cakes are a great side dish for chicken or fish, and they also make a good appetizer. You can prepare the batter a few hours ahead and refrigerate, then saute just before serving.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- add 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (add more if you like)
- add 3 large eggs (if eggs are smaller use 4)
- add 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- add 4 ears fresh sweet corn
- add 1 small red onion
- add 3 tablespoons cilantro
- add 1 clove garlic
- add 2/3 cup monterey jack cheese
- add 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- add 1 stalk celery
- add 1/4 cup flour
- add 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and very finely chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl,mix sweet corn kernels and all other ingredients except oil, making sure to mix very well.
- In a large skillet (or 2 skillets if small) heat the oil.
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoons full into the skillet.
- Flatten batter, and cook until lightly browned on both sides (about 1 to 2 minutes per side) Cover with foil and keep warm in the oven at low temperature until ready to serve.