A great potato recipe... so easy and absolutely delicious. The left overs are just as good, maybe even better the next day. This is one of my favorite and most prepared recipes, from my 1971 Florence Junior Welfare League Cookbook.
- add 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- add 1/2 cup grated cheese
- add 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- add 1 dash cayenne pepper
- add 3 tablespoons butter
- add 1 1/2 cups milk
- add 3 tablespoons flour
- add 1 teaspoon salt
- add paprika
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter and blend in flour.
- Let sit for a minute.
- Add all of cold milk, stirring with a whisk.
- Season with salt and cayenne.
- Cook sauce on low until smooth and boiling, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Reduce heat and stir in cheese.
- Place a half of the sliced potatoes in a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Pour half of cheese sauce over potatoes.
- Repeat with second layer of potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350F.