If saffron is too costly for your budget, substitute turmeric; it will give you the same golden color.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/4 cup green olives or black olives (sliced or chopped)
- add 1/4 teaspoon salt
- add 1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped (medium or small shrimp)
- add 2 eggs
- add 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- add 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- add 1 small red bell pepper
- add 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- add 1 small yellow bell pepper
- add 1 onion
- add 2 cups cooked white rice
- add 1/2 lb chorizo sausage (or hot Italian sausage)
- add 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can smoked mussels
- add 1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- add 2 garlic cloves
- add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- add 1/4 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- Preheat oven to 350°; Take sausage from its casing and crumble the meat into a large skillet.
- Cook the sausage over med-high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
- Drain off most of the grease; add in the red and yellow peppers and onion to the skillet.
- Decrease heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the garlic and saffron; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to gently but thoroughly combine the shrimp, mussels, rice, bread crumbs, parsley, olives, lemon juice, cumin, cayenne, salt, eggs, and cooked sausage/vegetable mixture.
- Pat mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking pan; bake 40-45 minutes until the loaf is browned and top is crusty.
- Let the loaf stand in pan for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares to serve.