From a Sephardic community cookbook submitted by Isabel Wolfson. Haven't tried it but hope to soon. I totally guessed at time to prep and cook. Goes well with couscous.
If you see an ingredient you would like to add to your shopping list simply click the icon and the item will be saved in your "Home" under the "Shopping List" link
- add 1/3-3/4 cup brown sugar
- add salt
- add 4 cups water
- add 1 cup almonds
- add 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- add 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- add 2 tablespoons parsley
- add 1/2 cup raisins
- add 1 lb pumpkin
- add 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- add 12 prunes
- add 1 egg
- add pepper
- add 1 small onion
- add 1/2 cup matzo meal or plain breadcrumbs
- add 1/2 cup tomato juice
- add 6 onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place meat in a mixing bowl and add onion, parsley, egg, and matzo meal.Blend and add the tomato juice, salt and pepper.Knead until smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and knead again.
- Shape into small balls.
- Cook the onion in the remaining oil until tender and brown.Add water and bring to a boil.Add salt to taste.Drop in the meatballs, one at a time, into simmering liquid and simmer until firm.
- Pour the meat balls and broth into a baking dish and add drained raisins and prunes.Add almonds and pumpkin.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon and bake until golden brown and nearly all the liquid disappears.
- Serve with couscous.